What is Mold?
Molds are fungi. Molds grow throughout the natural and built environment. Tiny particles of mold are present in indoor and outdoor air. In nature, molds help
break down dead materials and can be found growing on soil,
foods, plant matter, and other items.
Molds produce microscopic cells called "spores" which are very tiny
and spread easily through the air. Live spores act like seeds, forming
new mold growths (colonies) when they find the right conditions.
Mold can affect the health of people who are exposed to it. People are mainly exposed to mold by breathing spores or other tiny fragments. People
can also be exposed through skin contact with mold contaminants
(for example, by touching moldy surfaces) and by swallowing it.
The type and severity of health effects that mold may produce are usually
difficult to predict. The risks can vary greatly from one location to another,
over time, and from person to person.
With Mold What Symptoms Might I Have?
The most common health problems caused by indoor mold are allergy symptoms. Although other and more serious problems can occur, people exposed to mold commonly report problems such as:
Nasal and sinus congestion
Skin and eye irritation
Upper respiratory infections (including sinus)